[mythtv-users] Re: OT: nVidia and XvMC?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu Oct 13 01:07:35 UTC 2005

On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 05:30:22PM -0700, Mark Linford wrote:
> On 10/12/05, Mark Linford <mlinford at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Check ls -lu /etc/X11/XvMCConfig before and after running the frontend.
> >
> > Before running mythfrontend:
> > -rw-r--r--  1 root root 27 Oct 12 05:40 /etc/X11/XvMCConfig
> >
> > And after:
> > -rw-r--r--  1 root root 27 Oct 12 17:14 /etc/X11/XvMCConfig
> >
> > Hmmm. Is it supposed to change like that?

Yes, that means it was read, e.g. xvmcw became active.
You should do the same with libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1.

> A couple of other things I forgot to mention:
>
> Looking at my /var/log/Xorg.0.log file, I see this line:
>
> (II) Loading extension XVideo
> (II) Loading extension XVideo-MotionCompensation
>
> So, it looks like nVidia is using XvMC ...

xvmcw is working, and nvidia xvmc, too. The missing bit is the
link. Does xvmcw find libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1?

Do you have multiple versions of nvidia drivers installed? If yes, use
nvidia-graphics-switch to choose one.

> Also, searching various nVidia-related boards didn't yield any
> definitive answers to my problem, but it did mention a few people
> having problems with XvMC with various incarnations of nVidia's
> drivers. Also, nothing about my specific card (6200). So, if anyone
> has a similar setup to mine, and you have XvMC working, could you
> please tell me which version of nVidia's drivers you're using? Thanks!

Just install all available ones from atrpms and use
nvidia-graphics-switch in runlevel 3 to switch from one to the other.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net