[mythtv-users] MythTV on Xbox, again

Alexander Fisher alexjfisher at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 08:29:40 EDT 2005

On 10/13/05, ctd at minneapolish3.com <ctd at minneapolish3.com> wrote:

> Vladan,
>
> I feel your pain.  I cannot wait to hear an  answer.  I even tried to
> compile  from source, but that resulted in other errors.
>
> I am not concerned with the long build times, so I would appreciate it if
> some itelligent person could spell out the steps to compile from source that
> work on an xbox.
>
> I compiled my backend from source for a Mandrake machine, so I am familiar
> with the process.  I am confused as to what source to use for a debian
> (xbox) install.  Should I just grab the source according to the mythtv
> install instructions?  Or should I use the source that has already been
> packaged at "deb-src
> http://dijkstra.csh.rit.edu/~mdz/debian unstable mythtv"?
> I reviewed that source at
> http://dijkstra.csh.rit.edu/~mdz/debian and the source for
> mythtv appears to be based on 0.18.1.4 and the plug-ins on 0.18.1.2. Is this
> a concern?

The mdz source versions are actually 0.18.1-4 and 0.18.1-2.  The -4
and -2 have been appended by the package maintainer.  The mythtv
packages has just been tweaked and rereleased more times than the
plugin packages.  But they're both based on mythtv 0.18.1 so no need
to be concerned.  Check the debian/changelog file for more details.

Anyway, I used pbuilder to rebuild the packages against etch.  This
website http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto/howtos/debcustomize has
some hints on how to do this if you want to try it yourself.  I had a
bit of bother building the plugin packages until I figured out how to
add the libmyth package I had previously built to the pbuilder chroot.

BTW I also have an xbox frontend, but I set it up when everything
'just worked' a few months ago.  If I'm feeling adventerous, I might
try and build some xbox optimised packages.  I wonder if I'll notice
any performance improvement if I go for -Os and --mtune=pentium3?

Alex