[mythtv-users] OT: MythTV Home Automation

Ross Campbell ross.campbell at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 21:01:02 UTC 2005

On 10/11/05, Ian Jackson <ianjackson at shaw.ca> wrote:

> About this whole touch tone thing and home automation control. I love
> the Myth automation concept. Isn't that what myth is suppose to be
> about? Mythical convergence? As far as touch tone activation, I've been
> half following this thread.. Instead of touch tone magic, why not good
> old SMS?
> In this summer issue of 2600 (I think). there is a short article on
> using SMS to control your box.. It's sort of smart hack..Basically, it
> takes advantage the fact that most phones can SMS email addresses.. I'll
> see if I can find/post the article if anybody is interested. It could
> turn into a pretty useful tool if somebody put some time into a myth
> interface.

Ultimetely, asterisk is where you'd want to be looking, but in the
meantime...

I remember seeing some set of mail parsing scripts that allowed emails to
perform commands on a host.

This isn't the one I was looking for, but something like this:
http://unix.freshmeat.net/projects/mail2sh/

Also, there's a GAIM plugin that allows remote command execution if you're
okay with the security implications of that.
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1071005&group_id=235&atid=390395

I suppose you could use an IM Client on your phone to send the name of a
short unix script.

But then again, many people today can also use ssh from their "phone" to
access a real shell on their mythtv box - or even just use a web interface
from their phone!

BTW, Ian... when you reply to emails it seems that your MUA is generating a
new thread.

-Ross