[mythtv-users] MythTV on Xbox, again, SUCCESS

Vladan Bato vbato at ieee.org
Thu Oct 13 17:44:05 EDT 2005

> A few weeks ago I rebuilt the mythtv debian source packages against
> libraries available in etch.  These *might* install on xebian.  Add
> "http://alexfisher.me.uk/debian/ etch main" to your apt sources and
> comment out the other mythtv source to find out.

This did it! Thanks Alex!

For all those interested, install it while you can, it might stop working
in the future.

Here are the details:

I followed the instructions on
<http://www.mythtv-xbox.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=36>,
but used the following sources.list:

xbox:~# cat /etc/apt/sources.list
deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ etch main
deb http://alexfisher.me.uk/debian/ etch main
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing main non-free contrib

You might also try to modify the mythtv-xbox.0.4.5-beta scripts, by
changing the compatible version to xebian 1.1.4 (in install.pl) and
changing the conf/sources.list file to match the above.

The key here is that debian testing (etch) is used instead of unstable
(sid), and that Alex's repository is used.

You can use any debian mirror for the main debian repository.

I managed to install mythtv-frontend and all the plugins.
I configured the frontend and watched LiveTV for a few minutes. Finally!

There is however one problem left. The remote does not work (actually the
lirc driver). I get the following in dmesg:

lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, at major 61
usb.c: registered new driver xir
devfs_register(lirc/0): could not append to parent, err: -17
lirc_xir: driver registered (minor 0)

I didn't have the time to investigate it, but it seems that it has
something to do with udev (using /dev/lirc/0 instead of /dev/lirc0). I
hope it can be solved...

I hope this helps. Good luck.

--
Vladan Bato