[mythtv-users] Pull my hair out over DVI->HDMI for my HDTV

Greg Grotsky spikeygg at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 02:12:51 EDT 2005

Yes, that's what I meant to say, the current spec doesn't support 1080p. The
modelines I have for my TV (obtained over the VGA D-sub port) work fine for
the standard 480p/720p/1080i resolutions over DVI but as soon as I go
outside those modes the TV displays "MODE NOT SUPPORTED" the bastards at
Samsung disabled the TV from even attempting to display them. The real
kicker is that older-model TVs like the 5667W will actually take the
incoming transmission and at least attempt to display it coming in over DVI.

When I was planning my myth machine I really wanted DVI for the clearest
possible picture. I know I am a geek becuase I actually took my machine into
the store so I could test it out on their TV before I bought it. When I got
it (the 5667W) home I tried like hell to get rid of the overscan over the
DVI but I couldn't solve it with modelines and there aren't any options in
the TVs OSD to scale it or correct for overscan so I ditched the DVI all
together.

Once I realized that I'd be running analog, I decided to return the 5667W
and go all out on the 5678W, since I could get a whole new slew of
resolutions. It actually worked out very well with xMame games since lots of
the newer ones require very high resolutions. :) Anyway, I'm rambling again.
It's late... good night.

-Greg