[mythtv-users] Highest number of simultaneous streams recorded?

Brian Merrill bmerrill at sfcn.org
Fri Oct 14 02:56:19 EDT 2005

Master backend:
Recoding 2xHD 1080i
Playback 1xHD 1080i

Slave backend:
Recording 2xAnalog 480i
Playback 1xAnalog 480i

Remote frontend 1:
Playback 1xHD 1080i

Remote frontend 2:
Playback 1xHD 1080i

=8 total streams

I've had all streams going flawlessly on multiple occasions with no loss
of quality, jitters, pauses, crashes or gremlins of any kind.  A typical
HD 1080i broadcast, I believe, clocks in around 15 mbit/s.  More if it
contains multiple streams, but a HD3000 only records one stream at a
time in Myth so that's irrelevant.  Granted this is all going on through
a gigabit lan, but a 100mbit lan should be more than enough bandwidth
and possibly even your newer 54 mbit and greater wireless lans.  For
your average 7200 rpm drive that has sustained read and write rates of
about 30 MBytes/s, multiple HD streams should barely be a flicker of
activity for the drive.