[mythtv-users] diskless backend?

Stephen Boddy stephen.boddy at btinternet.com
Tue Oct 11 00:47:51 UTC 2005

On Monday 10 October 2005 18:11, Sonni Nørløv wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a setup with a backend/frontend running on a diskless server in
> my living room, and a 24x7 server  running mysql and nfs, and the daily
> tv channel update.
>
> Main reason for this is setup is that I have no antenna at the 24x7
> server location, and did not want or needed the idle power consumption
> of the tuner card when not in use. Also I could then use the remote on
> the prv250 tuner.
>
> This setup has been running ok for over a year now, the main issue is
> that I have no mythweb on the 24x7 server unless the backend is running,
> which requires it to be booted.

Hmmm. Must admit that this is similar to my thoughts on a slightly odd
frontend/backend configuration. I'm curious why you can't run MythWeb on your
24x7 server though. I undestood the web pages and db updates are served by
apache/php/mysql. Why does the backend need to running?

If the backend does have to be running, could you possibly turn the
frontend/backend in the frontroom into a slave, then run a master backend on
the 24x7 server without any local tuners?
--
Steve Boddy