[mythtv-users] why do i have a 2 gig limit on avi files

MacNean Tyrrell dardack at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 20:38:00 EDT 2005

It's an mplayer thing, well not just mplayer, but that's the default player
for avi files. Couple things. It doesn't have support for large files
configured by default:

You need to enable support for large files and your glibc must support
it.
./configure --help
--enable-largefiles enable support for files > 2 GBytes [disable]

Second, i would search the mplayer mailing lists. I think you also need to
run the option -idx if you need to seek, that can take a long time, so there
is the -saveidx and -loadidx but i've never used those. You might see a
mplayer mailing where it didn't work for me, xvid 2gb limit or something,
back then i never got it working, but i did at some point. Since my system
crashed with my new harddrive, i haven't gotten aroudn to "refixing" it yet,
but i'm sure it'll work for you. Also, are you transcoding into divx or
xvid? I think those are the only two options, i could be wrong, anyways you
might want to download the newest codecs, newest mplayer source, and compile
them. Just my thoughts on the subject. Hope it works for you.

On 10/14/05, jondz <jondz at dca.net> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm new(re-subscribed) to the list.
>
> Has anybody encountered this before: I seem to
> have a 2 gigabyte limit on avi files (transcoded
> movies). When either the Internal player or the
> mythcommflag reaches that they just hang. I know
> the files are fine because gnome totem plays
> them movies fine to the end.
>
> quick facts about my box:
>
> 1. it used to be debian STABLE (kernel 2.4).
> 2. I turned it into UNSTABLE, and upgraded to 2.6.
> 3. I use XVID for transcoding.
> 4. I have compiled my own mythtv packages using
> the debian mythtv versions.
>
> Whereas I am perfectly happy right now sticking
> with < 2 hour movies I will be grateful for somebody
> who points me in the right direction, thanks.
>
> thanks for a great software!
>
> jondz

Sincerely,

MacNean C. Tyrrell