[mythtv-users] /dev/lirc missing during FC4 setup

Alex Vishnev avishnev at optonline.net
Sat Oct 15 12:14:29 EDT 2005

Hmmm... I built lircd and lircmd from sources. The binaries are in
/usr/local/sbin on my distribution. You may have it in a different place. I
suggest searching the drive for them (i.e. find / -name lircd -print) to see
where the utilities are. The reason lircd fails when you start irw, is
because /dev/lirc can't be stat'ed or opened. In order to get the device
back, you need to make sure that lirc can open and attach to your IR device.
IR device must be plugged into the card. please do what I suggested in
modprobe and grab the output of /var/log/messages to see what messages you
get when you load the modules. Please note that the order of load is
important. You need to load lirc-dev first, followed by lirc_i2c. Assuming
everything works well and lirc modules can determine and attach to your IR
card, then you can start lircd and lircmd servers/daemons

HTH
Alex