[mythtv-users] PVR-350 only records TV at MPEG-1 ??

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 15:13:18 EDT 2005

On 15/10/05, Matt SF <spore at psibercom.org> wrote:
> wow I guess it pays to not only RTFM but RTFM very carefully :)
> I spotted this old post in looking for ways to improve the image quality
> of my PVR-350...

> note.. "NTSC format at 29.97fps: Full D1: 720x480, MPEG1: 352x240"
>
> Sort of begs the question, just what is the MPEG-2 on the board used for?
> I guess just for putting your home video etc. into the S-video input.

Recording directly into MPEG2 when using suitable resolutions.

> Am I to understand the PVR-350 takes the image from the TV tuner,
> captures it at MPEG-1 and then converts it to MPEG-2 then outputs it?

No you are not. When trying to improve video capture quality, you
first have to make sure you have turned off likely culprits like noise
removal and have as clean a feed as possible. I would also suggest
employing a test card to see exactly how much resolution the card can
handle (you should expect S-Video to be better than composite for
example). The 350 can _natively_ record in MPEG2 over a range of
resolutions, from 480x480 up to 720x480.

Nick