[mythtv-users] Hauppauge WinTV cards; model differences?

Intense Red intnsred at golgotha.net
Sat Oct 15 19:27:16 EDT 2005

   I'm getting ready to build a Myth box and have been lurking on the list
here for a week or two, reading archives and docs, and trying to get a handle
on Myth.  I'd like to get some experienced people's advice on tuner cards.

   I'm most likely going to go with a Hauppauge WinTV tuner card because of
the Myth docs recommendations, but I'm a bit lost on the differences between
the models of WinTV cards.  I've decided that the 250, 350, and 500 models
seem to be supported and would do the trick.

   But looking at features, the only differences I detect is that some have FM
tuners and some don't (I don't see a need for that), and some have a Remote
Control (which would be nice but I don't see it as mandatory).  Plus, of
course, the 500 model has the twin tuners, which would seem very handy.

   My question(s): Can you give me some "real world" advice on these various
cards?  Are there any distinct differences among them (other than what's
noted above)?  Any general tuner advice that you can shed on a newbie?

   My demands aren't really that high.  My cable system sucks, is analog, and
my TV isn't anything special.  I'm looking at Myth mainly to capture
interesting stuff, to do time-shifting, and to cut out commercials.

   Thanks in advance.

--
Fast fact: Out of every $10 that Americans spend on food, $1 pays for
packaging. 65% of all garbage in the U.S. is packaging.