[mythtv-users] recording from defined tuner

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Sun Oct 16 13:14:07 EDT 2005

Thomas Bürger wrote:
> I am using 2 tuners (one DVB-T card and a PVR-350). Both offer the same
> channels (more or less), so I set all equal channels to the same database ID
> (by using the same name).

To be clear, you should have two different video sources defined.
For the channels that carry the same station, the "callsign" should
be the same.

> Now I got some quality trouble on some channels on tuner 1 and so I would like
> to advice the recording to use tuner 2. But How do I do this? I set the

You cannot specify the tuner but presumably you have one source
for DVB associated with the DVB input and a source for the analog
channels associated with the PVR-350's input.

> priority of the channel on the second tuner (PVR) to 1 as the priority of the
> tuner 1 channel is 0 but this seams not to work.

I do this all the time. In fact, I use chanel priorities to switch
which input is preferred sometimes for special cases.

mysql> select sourceid,name from videosource;
+----------+--------------+
| sourceid | name         |
+----------+--------------+
|        1 | CoxCableDD   |
|        2 | CoxDigitalDD |

mysql> select chanid,sourceid,channum,callsign,recpriority from channel where callsign='KVBC';
+--------+----------+---------+----------+-------------+
| chanid | sourceid | channum | callsign | recpriority |
+--------+----------+---------+----------+-------------+
|   1003 |        1 | 3       | KVBC     |           0 |
|   2123 |        2 | 123     | KVBC     |           0 |

KVBC is on analog 3 and digital 123. My analog inputs are lower
numbered than my digital so it prefers channel 3 by default.

--- print list start ---
Title - Subtitle                    Chan ChID Day Start  End   S C I  T N Pri
LPGA Golf - "Samsung World Champion    3 1003  16 10:00-13:59  1 1 1  S 1   3

If I go to TV Settings->Recording Priorities->Set Channel Recording
Priorities, I can lower the priority for 3 to give showings on 123
the advantage. I don't want to give 123 an advantage over all other
channels so I lower 3 to gain this effect.

mysql> select chanid,sourceid,channum,callsign,recpriority from channel where callsign='KVBC';
+--------+----------+---------+----------+-------------+
| chanid | sourceid | channum | callsign | recpriority |
+--------+----------+---------+----------+-------------+
|   1003 |        1 | 3       | KVBC     |          -1 |
|   2123 |        2 | 123     | KVBC     |           0 |

--- print list start ---
Title - Subtitle                    Chan ChID Day Start  End   S C I  T N Pri
LPGA Golf - "Samsung World Champion  123 2123  16 10:00-13:59  2 2 6  S 2   3

The priority for "LPGA Golf" is 0, Single record is +3 so the total
priority for a single LPGA Golf on 123 is +3 but only +2 on channel
3 so 123 wins. If there was a higher priority show that needed the
digital input then "LPGA Golf" would record on channel 3 from one of
the analog inputs.

--  bjm