[mythtv-users] why do i have a 2 gig limit on avi files

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Oct 16 17:07:36 EDT 2005

ffrr wrote:

> Michael Gargiullo wrote:
>
>> What file system are you using on the disk. If it’s ext2 or ext3
>> (ext2 with journaling) then the file system itself has a 2 Gb limit.
>> If so install xfs packages, and convert your video work space, and
>> video storage to XFS
>
> I use ext3 and have many files >2 GB, so can't be a limitation of ext3...

Nor is it a limitation of ext2--unless, of course, you're still using a
Linux 2.2 system and associated (ancient) libraries...  (See
http://www.suse.de/~aj/linux_lfs.html )

_Filesystem_                            _File Size_     _Filesystem Size_
                                        _Limit_         _Limit_
ext2/ext3 with 1 KiB blocksize          16448 MiB       2048 GiB
ext2/3 with 2 KiB blocksize             256 GiB         8192 GiB
ext2/3 with 4 KiB blocksize             2048 GiB        16384 GiB
*ext2/3 with 8 KiB blocksize            65568 GiB       32768 GiB
ReiserFS 3.5                            2 GiB           16384 GiB
ReiserFS 3.6 (as in Linux 2.4)          1 EiB           16384 GiB
XFS                                     8 EiB           8 EiB
JFS with 512 Bytes blocksize            8 EiB           512 TiB
JFS with 4KiB blocksize                 8 EiB           4 PiB
NFSv2 (client side)                     2 GiB           8 EiB
NFSv3 (client side)                     8 EiB           8 EiB

*(Systems with 8 KiB pages like Alpha only)

So, if you followed the ext2/ext3 recommendations from the MythTV
documentation ( http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.2 ) and
used "-T largefile4" on any recording partition of reasonable size
(which would have allowed mke2fs to choose 4KiB blocks), you can have a
2TiB file--assuming you've got the drives to allow it...

Mike