[mythtv-users] using a* search algorithm to implement the scheduler.

Dave Sherohman esper at sherohman.org
Mon Oct 17 20:03:33 EDT 2005

On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 12:14:28PM -0400, Steve Adeff wrote:
> I don't quite understand what an a* algorithm is, let alone what it would do
> for MythTV?

a* is a search algorithm which is most commonly used (or at least
most often talked about) in games and the like for determining the
lowest-cost way of getting from point A to point B (pathfinding).
Its basic mode of operation is by evaluating each potential move
based on the sum of the cost to reach that position and the straight-
line cost from that position to the destination.

--
The freedoms that we enjoy presently are the most important victories of the
White Hats over the past several millennia, and it is vitally important that