[mythtv-users] Starting to think I should use Kaffeine instead of Mythtv

match at ece.utah.edu match at ece.utah.edu
Tue Oct 18 17:26:11 EDT 2005

On 18 Oct 2005 at 14:16, Isaac Richards wrote:

> <snip>
>
> Why do people bother responding to this kind of crap?  If someone is being so
> ignorant as to threaten to use another software package just to get some
> attention, let them.  Seems like a good scheme to get a lot of replies, but I
> think it's pretty idiotic.
>
> Isaac

Isaac, I had the same thought. If another system works, then so be it, go use that
software.

But taking that stand helps nobody. And to be fair, he did attempt to get specific help
before his "Starting to think I should use Kaffeine instead of MythTV" post. No one
responded to his earlier requests, probably because he was asking the wrong
questions.

I think sometimes people make posts like this out of frustration because they don't
understand enough about the "problem" they see (or think they see) to ask a more
intelligent question, or don't have the trouble-shooting skills to enlighten themselves.
So, folks on the list have to pry meaningful information from the original poster (once
the original poster finally gets someone's attention) in order to make an attempt at
helping him solve his problem, or to lead him into solving it for himself. At least his post
finally generated some discussion, and eventually the list gave him some ideas to try,
and maybe some direction.

BTW, I'm a little curious about the segfaulting too. I would have suggested maybe low
quality mobo or mem... In my experience a segfault almost always points to bad
hardware (if the app is known to work) but what do I know?

Marvin