[mythtv-users] High Memory Learning Remote

Todd Ignasiak ignasiak at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 18:31:20 EDT 2005

The best price/performance remote controls I have found are the "JP1"
remotes.
JP1 refers to the header that is left on the remote, which is used for
factory
programming and has been reverse engineered to allow for customization of
the
remote. They are sold under the Radio Shack name, or the "One for All"
remotes sold at other retailers. There are some Windows apps that allow
programming of the remote using a small cable from the PC to the remote.
The learning curve is a bit steep, but for an inexpensive option it's hard
to beat. ( http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/ ).

The Philips Pronto remotes are expensive, but offer complete flexibility.
You
can create custom display graphics, script complex functions, and
learn/build
almost any IR command.

One that I am looking into now is the Philips RC9800i. It combines a
universal remote, limited multimedia support, and WiFi. It has some EPG
(electronic programming guide) support, but I don't know if that would work
with MythTV. The possibilities with this device are certainly interesting..
( http://www.homecontrol.philips.com/ )