[mythtv-users] Starting to think I should use Kaffeine instead of Mythtv

ffrr ffrr at tpg.com.au
Tue Oct 18 20:03:02 EDT 2005

match at ece.utah.edu wrote:

>I think sometimes people make posts like this out of frustration because they don't
>understand enough about the "problem" they see (or think they see) to ask a more
>intelligent question, or don't have the trouble-shooting skills to enlighten themselves.
>So, folks on the list have to pry meaningful information from the original poster (once
>the original poster finally gets someone's attention) in order to make an attempt at
>helping him solve his problem, or to lead him into solving it for himself. At least his post
>finally generated some discussion, and eventually the list gave him some ideas to try,
>and maybe some direction.

Thank you for your understanding.

>BTW, I'm a little curious about the segfaulting too. I would have suggested maybe low
>quality mobo or mem... In my experience a segfault almost always points to bad
>hardware (if the app is known to work) but what do I know?

I know what you mean, but there is one piece of evidence that points to
it NOT being hardware related.  That is that it can be made to seg fault
in a very repeatable manner.  It always does it at exactly the same
point in a given piece of (faulty?) video.

Also the hardware I am running should be OK.  The mobo was recommended
for it's stability (an abit NF7-S) and I have run memory tests,
extensive ones, with no errors.