[mythtv-users] Starting to think I should use Kaffeine instead of Mythtv

ffrr ffrr at tpg.com.au
Tue Oct 18 22:14:41 EDT 2005

Michael Cowell wrote:

> I had very similar problems with my Twinhan. It turned out to be
> because of a shared interrupt (the bt878 chipsets don't play nicely
> with others). Similarly to you, the problem only showed up in myth,
> because myth was using the other device (another bt878, analog this
> time). Other players didn't use the other device, so there was no
> interrupt contention and no artefacts.
>
> I'd cat /proc/interrupts to see if anything is sharing an interrupt
> with you card - then shuffle them around (or change BIOS settings) to
> get your twinhan its own irq. That fixed my problems.

Oh boy, I certainly hope you are right.    I didn't think of interrupts,
but that certainly might be the problem.  Turns out the card was sharing
interrupts with a whole bunch of stuff, including the SATA raid, nForce2
etc...  I have moved it, physically and it is on a different interrupt
now (see below)

Initial testing seems to be clear of ALL sound glitches, and only some
very very minor video artifacts (which may be true reception problems).

If this works, I owe you big time... thank you

cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0
  0:     171707          XT-PIC  timer
  1:        111          XT-PIC  i8042
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  5:      23939          XT-PIC  ehci_hcd, bttv0, bt878
  8:          1          XT-PIC  rtc
 10:      19884          XT-PIC  ohci_hcd, eth0, NVidia nForce2
 11:       9010          XT-PIC  libata, ohci_hcd
 12:          3          XT-PIC  ohci1394
 14:       1304          XT-PIC  ide0
NMI:          0
LOC:     171665
ERR:        524