[mythtv-users] Capturing legacy VHS tapes

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 00:28:37 EDT 2005

On 10/19/05, Nathan Lutchansky <lutchann-mythtvusers at litech.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 11:16:49PM -0200, Manuel Lemos wrote:
> > At last I managed to make Plextor ConvertX M402U to work under SuSE
> > Linux 9.3 and MythTV to see the input video.
>
> MythTV doesn't support MPEG2 on the ConvertX.  What you really want is a
> tool that can capture from the ConvertX and output an MPEG2 program
> stream suitable for feeding to dvdauthor, and I don't think such a thing
> exists yet.  Maybe you could take the output from "gorecord -format
> mpeg2-dvd" and process it with ffmpeg, but I've not tried this.  -Nathan

Unless I'm misunderstanding, Manuel is saying he has the card working
with MPEG2 and MythTV. He doesn't need help on getting the card to
work. What he wants to know is the best way within MythTV to record
something from a VHS tape - i.e. something that doesn't have an epg
entry. I'm curious myself. I guess you could create a manual schedule,
but is there an easier way?

Regards,
Steve