[mythtv-users] Re: Video iPod

Brad mythtv at braddolman.com
Wed Oct 19 03:51:12 EDT 2005

> I think you guys are arguing two different points. Some are saying
> that
> if using QuickTime, you need QuickTime Pro because the non-Pro version
> doesn't have the appropriate video encoding tools. Others are saying
> that you don't need either QuickTime or QuickTime Pro because
> open-source software is da bomb... (And some are saying you can use
> non-free programs like freeware or applications from vendors other
> than
> Apple.)
>
> You're all right, alright?

Correct!

I also agree the ffmpeg should do the trick. So, we need a method
that the user can select which recordings should be "podcast-
enabled". Seeing as transcoding is required, and could be beneficial
for other uses besides podcasts, I think that it would be beneficial
to take a little more generic path for implementation. For example, I
don't have automatic transcoding enabled on my setup but I would find
it useful if I could occasionally set one particular recording
subscription to transcode from MPEG2 to DiVX (.avi). We could also
facilitate this with this implementation.

I think that it would make the most sense to add "Transcode/Podcast
Options" to the Recording Options menu. Selecting it, the user should
be able to:
a) indicate this recording subscription is to be transcoded
b) select between a few preset transcode qualities ("Quicktime for
iPod", "H.264 for iPod" (not sure that ffmpeg can do that)). The user
should be able to create or delete a custom transcode quality setting.
c) indicate if the original non-transcoded item should be deleted or
remain once transcoding is complete
d) indicate a location for the resulting transcoded file to be placed.
e) indicate if the transcoded file should be podcast
f) select a location for the RSS feed, which would either be created
if it didn't exist, or the entries would be added to the existing RSS
feed if it did exist. This also would allow the user to have multiple
RSS feeds so, for example, each show could have its own RSS feed or
xe* could have one feed for all shows.

The user would then need to only add the URL for the RSS feed
location to iTunes to have it automatically copy new recordings to
the iPod 5G (in accordance with his podcast settings).

I think this is seriously cool, btw, and I'm pretty sure this would
have me buying (yet another) iPod in no time if it were
implemented.  :-D

Brad

---
* see http://www.braddolman.com/misc/xe.html