[mythtv-users] Re: Xbox as FE

Vladan Bato vbato at ieee.org
Wed Oct 19 15:30:39 UTC 2005

Tom Lichti wrote:
> My DVD remote works just fine with Rob's torrent. I have a genuine
> Microsoft one, is yours an aftermarket one?

Yes, mine is an aftermarket one. I bought it because it costs half the
Microsoft one and looks exaclty the same.
It worked perfectly for watching DVDs with the original Xbox firmware,
before I did the hadrware mod and replaced the rom.

What is bugging me is the error message in dmesg, which I think is a
problem with devfs and has nothing to do with the actual remote.

Here's what the "Xbox DVD receiver and LIRC Mini HOWTO" sais about that:

> A common reason for this to fail is a problem with lirc and devfs that results in the message:
>
> devfs_register(lirc/0): could not append to parent, err: -17
>
> To resolve this, change line 321 of <path/to/lirc>/drivers/lirc_dev/lirc_dev.c from
>
> sprintf (name, DEV_LIRC "/%d", ir->p.minor);

> sprintf (name, DEV_LIRC "%d", ir->p.minor);
>
> and recompile lirc

Now I am curious: is this the reason why my remote doesn't work, or is
it because it's not the original Microsoft remote (and receiver). And in
the latter case, how do I make it work?

The same message is present in Rob's dmesg file, so I was wandering
whether *his* remote was working. And those of you who have a working
remote, do you have the above message in dmesg?

Before tossing the remote away and looking for another one, I'd like to
konw where the problem actually is.

--
Vladan Bato
vbato at ieee.org