[mythtv-users] Mozilla/Firefox search plugin... (or try a Keyword Search)

Richard Bronosky mythtv at bronosky.com
Wed Oct 19 12:07:47 EDT 2005

Trey Boudreau wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 16, 2005 at 10:23:09PM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> I got tired of going to the Gossamer Threads MythTV page (
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv ) every time I wanted to
>> search the mailing list archives, so I created a Mozilla/Firefox
>> (Mycroft) search plugin for the MythTV mailing lists to give me
>> "one-click" access to the archives.  You can get the plugin from:
>>
>> http://mycroft.mozdev.org/download.html?name=mythtv&submitform=Find+search+plugins
>>

> Cool and all, but why not make a Quick Search out of it?
>
> -- Trey

Amen!  I'm right there with you.  I did this the day I discovered
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv

I appreciate the work of creating a search plugin.  I installed it and
think it's cool.  But there is a much better way to search than to use
the search box.

In Mozilla it is easy!  Just right click a search box on any page and
choose "Add a Keyword for this Search..."  Give it a Name and a Keyword,
and you are Good To Go!  (The Name is just how it is displayed in the
Bookmarks, but the Keyword is crucial.  The Keyword is what you will
type in the address bar to initiate your search.)  I use the Keyword
"MT" so that to search the GT MythTV archives I just hit CRTL+L
(shortcut to put my cursor in the address/"Location" bar) and type "MT
quick search" and hit CTRL+Return to load the search results in a new
tab.  No need to move my hand to the mouse.  No need to change my search
engine from Yahoo! to MythTV. (Actually, I don't even have a search box
anymore.  I removed it when I added a Keyword search of "y" for Yahoo!,
"g" for Google, 'IV' for http://www.ivtvdriver.org/pipermail/ivtv-devel/
and so on.)

Try it.  You'll love it!

--

	Thank you for your time,
	--==<< R i c h a r d   B r o n o s k y >>==--

Nearly all viruses and spyware are designed to use Microsoft internet products.  Protect yourself by avoiding Internet Explorer & Outlook/Outlook Express.