[mythtv-users] Capturing legacy VHS tapes

Trey Boudreau trey at treysoft.com
Wed Oct 19 14:49:32 EDT 2005

On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 03:10:21PM -0200, Manuel Lemos wrote:

> Right, I know that MythTV was made mainly to record scheduled programs.
> It seems superb for that purpose although it is not my main interest
> right now.
>
> The page with Linux drivers of this card recommends MythTV, but what I
> want to do, start and end a recording anytime I want with creating a
> schedule, does not seem to be possible or maybe it is not obvious to me.
>
> Since I could not make any recording with any other program besides
> MythTV and gorecord tool that comes with the drivers, I wonder if
> anybody knows how I can achieve what with MythTV. Or shall I submit a
> feature request for MythTV?

I suspect you have a tape library from the days before DVD, consisting
primarily of videos and not TV shows.  I recommend doing the capture
manually, outside of MythTV.  Then move the captured file to someplace
where MythVideo can see it.  You can then enter name for the video and
have MythVideo search IMDB for cover art and associated data.

-- Trey