[mythtv-users] Videocard (Radeon 9800XT) Won't Render HDTV using XV

Ryan C fearofcarpet at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 19:12:49 EDT 2005

I have a Radeon 9800XT and Air2pc (HD5000) capture card on a Gentoo
2005.1/Athlon
XP 3200+ machine. I have MythTV (0.18.1-r2) setup and running except for one
major problem - I cannot see video when I watch live TV on HDTV stations.
The problem is XV, which spits out "X Error: BadAlloc (insufficient
resources for operation) 11". I ran into the same problem with xine/mplayer
and was able to fix it by compiling MPlayer with vidix (and adding -vo
vidix:radeon_vid.so to video playback in MythTV), but Xine just renders a
pink screen using vidix (and crashes using vidixfb) for some reason... I
found that using the stock GATOS radeon driver fixes the XV problem, but
mangles fluxbox's window rendering (and the mouse cursor) - this is a known
problem with the 9800XT - and I don't like that solution anyway because it
doesn't support OpenGL/DRM.

Anyway, my question is essentally am I SOL? Is there any alternative to XV
(libxvmc is hard masked in Gentoo so I'm thinking it should be best left
alone, besides which I don't think it works with the fglrx drivers) in
MythTV? Xine will render HDTV using the opengl plugin (albeit poorly) and
mplayer uses vidix just fine, however it involved hacking libdha a bit, so
I'm assuming I can get it working in Xine... Somehow... But if MyhthTV won't
use the vidix plugin there is no point in trying to get it working with
Xine.

Any input would be greatly appreciated - TIA