[mythtv-users] Starting to think I should use Kaffeine instead of Mythtv

Andrew Close aclose at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 10:54:36 EDT 2005

On 10/20/05, ffrr <ffrr at tpg.com.au> wrote:
> Andrew Close wrote:
<snip/>
> >i second that.  if you're going to start over you may want to give
> >another distro a try.  KnoppMyth is a pretty quick and very painless
> >install.  it has full support for all Myth's many wonderful features
> >OOtB (out of the box).  if you have fairly recent hardware, 'it just
> >works'.
> >
> >nuff said.
> >

> I got to thinking, maybe I could try knoppmyth fairly painlessly.  I
> found an old 15GB IDE drive from an old computer and plugged it into my
> main machine.  I downloaded the very latest knoppmyth (just announced
> here in a message today), and quickly installed it.  I didn't get all
> the myth stuff going - like the tv guide etc, just enough to watch live TV.
>
> BTW: it allowed me to import my channels.conf, a feature which people
> here have said is not in the released mythtv version !!!
>
> Anyway, the big discovery is...  rock solid pictures.  Not one single
> damn glitch in sight, nor in the audio either :-)
>

> Conclusions,
> - it can't be signal strength related, so no point in buying a new card
> - can't be interrupt related - not directly anyway as nothing has
> changed in my hardware setup or BIOS
> - kernel is 2.6.13.2, so maybe a newer kernel than the 2.6.11 I have now
> might fix it (roll on Mandriva 2006 - or else I look at upgrading the
> kernel - about which I know nothing--- yet)
>
> btw:  one thing that didn't work was when knoppmyth asked if the
> ethernet interface should use dhcp I said yes. This failed (sometimes
> the dhcp server in my NAT firewall/router plays up) but it didn't go
> back and let me do it manually.  Now there's no ethernet interface
> configured at all.  I can't find any way to do it manually now.  This is
> one of the bothers of a cutdown distro I guess... no nice GUI to do this
> sort of stuff.  Is there any way to rerun the script that configures the
> ethernet?

KnoppMyth is just Linux after all, so you can do anything with it that
you can do with other distros.
i don't remember if you can reconfigure your network using the install
scripts  from the cmd line or not, but it wouldn't hurt to try.
kill mythfrontend, open up an xterm, su mythtv-setup (i don't remember
if there's a dash or not; just type myth and hit 'tab' a couple times)
this will get you to the basic config menus.  i know you can setup new
cards and update your source feed, but i don't remember if you can
reconfigure your network...
if not, you can check to see that dhcpd is running (ps aux | grep
dhcpd).  you can start dhcpd if it's not running (i believe it's just
'dhcpd &').  maybe a more senior linux guru can help you out a bit
better. :)  i don't think you need to monkey with any of the config
files in /etc.  a good place to check would be the KnoppMyth Forums
(http://www.mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/).  just search for network reconfig
or something similar.