[mythtv-users] Setting time on backend machine

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Oct 20 11:57:12 EDT 2005

Michael J. Lynch wrote:

> I saw the recent discussion about NTP and something occurred to me.

OK, but did you /read/ it?

> I have a VCR (a SONY) that sets it's clock from information
> transmitted in the NTSC broadcasts.  In this area, it happens to be
> channel 3 that is broadcasting the info.  Yes...this means when the
> power goes out and then is restored, I don't have to set the clock
> it just happens automagically.
>
> Anyway, the point of all of this is, if a VCR can do this, couldn't
> Myth do it to?  Does anyone know if the VCR has some sort of special
> hardware that is not available to Myth that allows it to do this?
> Just my 0.02.

Most of the thread you mentioned was talking about exactly this (
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/155755#155755 )--and
why NTP is better than relying on the broadcasted information (
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/155857#155857 ).
Although dvbdate is specific to DVB systems, Daniel's points would apply
to any other date system transmitted with the TV.

Mike