[mythtv-users] (WAS) KnoppMyth (NOW) Sata problems

ffrr ffrr at tpg.com.au
Fri Oct 21 02:49:12 EDT 2005

Gareth.Jones at ubs.com wrote:

>>not the SATA.  I have found that I can provoke the glitches even in
>>Knoppmyth, by writing the ringbuffer to a temp directory on one of the
>>SATA drives instead of the IDE.
>>

>>I now officially dislike SATA drives.  This was my first machine using
>>them, and had all sorts of initial problems.  Now this.  Time to get a
>>nice big reliable IDE drive I think.
>>

>There are known problems with certain on-board SATA controllers (Silicon Image I think) and their impact on DVB cards.

and that's exactly what my NF7-S has  a SI 3112 from memory.  Used to
cause disk corruption until a BIOS update.

>(eg see: http://www.nebula-electronics.com/information/DigiTVPCI.htm under the Restrictions section).
>
>This caused me lots of problems when first setting up a dedicated box. >From memory my mobo had 2 SATA controllers and switching to the non-SI controller fixed all the glitches.

So early SI chips interfere with DVB.  That's twice it's bitten me,
never again...

Thanks for the verification....

Anybody want to buy a few 100 GB of SATA storage (250GB WD, and 2 80GB
Seagates)?  :-) Just joking.    A new MB is almost as cheap as another
SATA controller card (unless you buy a cheap one, and they seem to be
early SI based often anyway).
I could use them just for offline storage as they cause no problems just
sitting there.  It's only when you access them that they upset the DVB.