[mythtv-users] if (x!=rerun) {record}

Dave Sherohman esper at sherohman.org
Fri Oct 21 09:55:28 EDT 2005

On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 09:30:33AM -0400, Fred Squires wrote:
> It would be great if you could give new episodes a higher priority and then
> tell the scheduler to keep at most maybe 5 episodes and record new and
> expire old if the new episodes priority is greater than or equal to the
> older episode's. Lower priority should always be deleted before higher in
> this case, so that way a non-rerun will be recorded over a rerun instead of
> an older non-rerun.
> It would work well for the shows like the simpsons, that way you could
> always have different repeats to watch but they would never delete the new
> episodes when you don't get to them for a while.

Agreed.  Or maybe the simplest way to handle this would be to add
support for having two separate recording schedules for the same
show (one with high priority and no autoexpire for new episodes and
another with lower priority and autoexpire for reruns)?  That would
count the number of episodes separately for new and rerun, but I
personally don't see that as an issue.

Something else that could help here would be additional autoexpire
methods.  AFAICT, "oldest first" is the only option present (in
0.18.1).  Adding "lowest priority first" and "reruns first" (ideally
with "by date"/"by priority" suboptions under the rerun setting)
would definitely make it more flexible for handling Simpsons, etc.

What I would *really* like to see is something comparable to Tivo's
"suggestions" feature (it autorecords shows similar to things you've
said you like when there's extra space available and those recordings
are the first to go when more space is needed), but I would expect
that to be a fairly major addition, while multiple schedules per show
or more autoexpire options would be much simpler to add.

--
The freedoms that we enjoy presently are the most important victories of the
White Hats over the past several millennia, and it is vitally important that