[mythtv-users] (NOW) Sata problems

match at ece.utah.edu match at ece.utah.edu
Fri Oct 21 15:42:53 EDT 2005

On 21 Oct 2005 at 14:03, Blastzone wrote:

> For what it's worth, I had a hell of a time with SATA & PATA drives in my ASUS Pundit-R.
> (250GB Maxtor midline SATA & NEC DVD-RW or ASUS DVD-RW drives)
>
> DMA acceleration would not work on either PATA DVD drive, some FC3 kernels would segfault
> on startup, Knoppix or Gentoo LiveCDs would not boot, and other problems.
>
> I dropped to a 160GB Seagate PATA drive, and aside from it filling up rather quickly, all the
> problems went away. That won't solve your problems, but 2 trips to ASUS RMA and 4 months
> didn't fix mine either...

Isn't it interesting that we see similar hardware that works for one guy, but not the next...

The only dificulty I saw was during the Fedora install. It wouldn't let me assign a /music
partition. I circumvented the problem by creating an LVM volume... go figure...

Just to clarify, I have:

ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard (SIL SATA chip, dunno the version)
Athlon 3200+
512M RAM
PATA DVD drive (dunno the brand or model, but it wasn't particularly expenive)
200GB PATA Seagate (I think... could be a Maxtor, I don't remember)
2-400 GB SATA Seagates
HD-3000
PVR-250
PVR-250 MCE
nVidia FX 5200

Running FC4 via Jarod's guide. The system is on the PATA drive, as is a 90GB /music
partition. The last third of the PATA and both SATA's make an LVM volume of about
865GB for a /video partition formatted XFS.

No problems so far... runs great. Been online for about a month continuously as a
combined FE/BE... I don't use the HD-3000 right now.

About 300GB recorded so far... when do you guys find time to watch all the stuff you
record?

Marvin