[mythtv-users] Re: Transcode to DVD-compatible MPEG-2 without quality loss?

Boleslaw Ciesielski bolek-mythtv at curl.com
Sat Oct 22 13:10:25 EDT 2005

On Sat, Oct 22, 2005 at 12:25:06PM -0400, Mike Frisch wrote:
> I will have to look into this further if it's a simple matter of
> remultiplexing.  At this point, I'd be happy to get DVD format MPEG-2
> with commercials if I can retain the A/V sync and picture quality.

In that case try this:

mencoder -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd -ovc copy -oac copy -o foo.mpg foo.nuv

Note that to be fully compliant (at least for NTSC) you should
transcode audio to AC-3, but most (all?) DVD players will play mp2
audio just fine.

Also, you should record at 720x480 (NTSC) for maximum compliance,
though this is usually not neccessary either.

Bolek