[mythtv-users] Transcoding, mpeg-2, mpeg-4 ASP vs. AVC

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Oct 22 13:22:46 EDT 2005

Stephen Boddy wrote:

>On Saturday 22 October 2005 16:47, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>

>>http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/141559#141559
>>
>>Note the part that says:
>>
>>For now, if all you want to do is save space, just transcode to mpeg4
>>with mythtv (keep in mind, it's optimized for encoding speed, not
>>quality) ...
>>

>Damn, that doesn't sound good.
>
>Looks like I need to stick with the original files, and either watch more TV,
>or start building one mother of a storage server!

You could always do manual transcoding.  If you specify an appropriate
multi-pass transcode with variable bitrate using a bitrate chosen
appropriately for the output resolution and CODEC, you can get good
quality (how to manually transcode is left as an exercise to the reader
;).  However, if your container is anything other than Myth's NUV
container or MPEG-2, you're probably better off putting the recording
into MythVideo instead of trying to keep it in recordings.

Mike