[mythtv-users] Re: Xbox as FE

Vladan Bato vbato at ieee.org
Sat Oct 22 19:07:43 UTC 2005

Robert Anderson wrote:
> Question: Should the genuine Micro$oft remote work after these changes
> are made? If you think so, send me the updated xir.o and xpad.o files
> and I will include them in the dist. Even if they don't work with the MS
> remote, I could include them in the dist so that users who need them
> could easily install them and use an aftermarket remote.

Yes, the microsoft remote (and every other device that has a valid
device id) should work just fine.

What will not work, are some chinese joypads that have the same invalid
id. The probelm is that all USB devices with the same id are handled by
the same driver. So all of these devices with the same invalid id must
be handled either by the xpad or xir driver (i.e. they are either all
treated as joypads or all treated as remotes).

Since everyone with an xbox probably has at least one original joypad,
it would be better to use the modified drivers by default (especially if
you buy a used xbox for the sole purpose of using it as a mythtv
frontend and you need a cheap remote :).

I'll send you the files as soon as I get back to my Xbox (probably
wednesday).

--
Vladan Bato
vbato at ieee.org