[mythtv-users] OpenGL ATI Radeon MythMusic MythGallery Problem

Sammo sammo2828 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 20:02:54 EDT 2005

Hi Lee,

On 10/22/05, Lee Koloszyc <teething12 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >IIRC, the ATI fglrx drivers don't let you use XV and OpenGL overlays
> >during the same X session.  So it will depend on the
> >    Option "VideoOverlay"               "on"
> >    Option "OpenGLOverlay"              "off"
> >options in your xorg.conf file, which are mutually exclusive.  So you
> >can have 2D acceleration or 3D acceleration, but not both.  See:
> >http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Fglrx
> >I'm not so sure on any of this now, primarily because ATI provided
> >rotten support (both in terms of the drivers and when I'd try to
> >contact them directly), so I don't use the ATI card in my linux box
> >any longer.
> >
> I think this is incorrect though I am not sure.  The OpenGL Overlay  is
> not 3d acceleration, but the ability to accelerate 2d video by placing
> it as an openGL texture.  I have both OpenGL and XV working on my
> machine and get nearly 3000 frames in GLXGears with my Radeon 9200.  It
> does play all the visuilizations without any problems on my machine. If
> he could post his Xorg.0.log and Xorg.conf it may be eaiser to determine
> the problem.  I wonder if he has opengl set to ATI?  In gentoo you can
> run opengl-update ati or eselect opengl set ati, not sure about other
> distros.

Which driver are you using? I am using the ATI proprietary driver
because I have a Radeon 9550. My understanding is that for Radeon
cards above 9200, the only option is the use the proprietary driver
from ATI.

Note that I'm only getting the following fps from glxgears:

> Reported fps for glxgears in default window size is 1100 FPS
> Reported fps for glxgears in maximized window is 130 FPS
>
> Reported fps for fgl_glxgears in default window size is 230 FPS
> Reported fps for fgl_glxgears in maximized window is 140 FPS

Also, I'm using Xfree86 on Debian and would rather not change to xorg
at this stage. I've attached my XF86Config-4 file.