[mythtv-users] Microsoft Remote Keyboard

ffrr ffrr at tpg.com.au
Sun Oct 23 05:52:09 EDT 2005

Oliver Groht wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i'm dealing with the idea to buy the MS. Remote Keyboard for XP MCE.
> Does anybody have some experience with this device under Linux/MythTV?
> My Mythbox works very well, but i'm looking a long time for a nice
> remote device with keyboard,
> mouse and function keys esp. for Media Center applications.
>
> I know this device needs a IR receiver from MS. I'm looking for lirc
> support, but i think there is nothing
> for this device. Only for XBOX hardware. Right, or am i wrong?

I have had the following plan for the box that will live next to my TV.
Yes, it needs a remote control, but I am so tired of remotes that don't
cover enough functions, so I was just going to get a wireless USB
keyboard (I presume like the MS one you mention, although I had a
Logitech one in mind) and use that.  Sure it's big, but I guess I won't
lose it that way :-)

Anyway, no need for lirc. It's a real keyboard.   The remote that came
with my DVB card works the same way. The USB IR receiver is seen by
linux as a real keyboard.  So using a full keyboard, there will be no
confusion/tedium mapping key pressings to functions, just use the ones
you normally use when sitting in front of the computer. p for pause, m
for menu, arrow keys to move, type data into a field, user the <enter>
key, and <esc> etc etc