[mythtv-users] Microsoft Remote Keyboard

Oliver Groht oliver.groht at catworkx.de
Sun Oct 23 08:35:41 EDT 2005

Lee schrieb:

> ffrr wrote:
>
>> Oliver Groht wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> i'm dealing with the idea to buy the MS. Remote Keyboard for XP MCE.
>>> Does anybody have some experience with this device under Linux/MythTV?
>>> My Mythbox works very well, but i'm looking a long time for a nice
>>> remote device with keyboard,
>>> mouse and function keys esp. for Media Center applications.
>>>
>>> I know this device needs a IR receiver from MS. I'm looking for lirc
>>> support, but i think there is nothing
>>> for this device. Only for XBOX hardware. Right, or am i wrong?
>>

>> I have had the following plan for the box that will live next to my
>> TV.  Yes, it needs a remote control, but I am so tired of remotes
>> that don't cover enough functions, so I was just going to get a
>> wireless USB keyboard (I presume like the MS one you mention,
>> although I had a Logitech one in mind) and use that.  Sure it's big,
>> but I guess I won't lose it that way :-)
>>
>> Anyway, no need for lirc. It's a real keyboard.   The remote that
>> came with my DVB card works the same way. The USB IR receiver is seen
>> by linux as a real keyboard.  So using a full keyboard, there will be
>> no confusion/tedium mapping key pressings to functions, just use the
>> ones you normally use when sitting in front of the computer. p for
>> pause, m for menu, arrow keys to move, type data into a field, user
>> the <enter> key, and <esc> etc etc
>

> Err, wrong.... The MS MCE keyboard isn't a 'real' keyboard, it that it
> doesn't connect to a keyboard/USB connector directly...
> Even on MCE you have to install a patch to get the keyboard to work.
>
> The MS MCE remote uses a USB receiver, that does use LIRC. It's a
> great remote with lots of buttons and works well with Myth.
>
> The keyboard also uses the same USB receiver (so beware if you're
> buying OEM), so it'd have to use LIRC too...
> I'm planning on getting one at end of the month, so I'll let you know,
> but there were a few messages about this a few weeks ago...
>
> Lee

yeah, sounds great!!!
it shouldn't be no problem to use this keyboard, if there is a working
lirc configuration.
Did you have a working lircrc for the MS remote ? I haven't found
something like ms remote on lirc homepage. Only for xbox devices... and
these are different.
I have bought my remote keyboard yesterday, but unfortunately i have an
OEM IR receiver from shuttle. So i have to by an original device by ms
next week if you say thats the same device like MCE remote.

Oliver