[mythtv-users] Kernel panic :-(((((

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Sun Oct 23 13:00:37 EDT 2005

On Sun, Oct 23, 2005 at 01:33:37PM +0200, Warpme wrote:
> I want to use USB-Eth adapter for second Eth interface. Billionton
> adapter is working OK when inserted AFTER system boot.
> Unfortunately when I first insert adapter to USB socked with system
> switched off, and next boot system with inserted adapter, I receive
> kernel panic.

Which drivers are inside the kernel and which ones are
modules?  Which modules are you loading via /etc/modules
and which ones via the kernel auto-loader or hotplug
manager?

As a general rule, you should use /etc/modules to specify
internal devices and allow the hotplug manager to load the
drivers for removable devices on an ad-hoc basis.

You didn't include a message log from a successful boot,
but I'm guessing the via-rhine ethernet card is usually
eth0 and the rtl8150 is usually eth1?  That might explain
some of your other error messages.  If you put only the
via-rhine driver in /etc/modules (or link it into the
kernel) and let hotplug load the rtl8150 driver then the
naming sequence will be consistent because the load order
will be fixed.