[mythtv-users] Low end experiment with latest Knoppmyth

Steve Adeff adeffs at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 16:49:58 EDT 2005

On Sunday 23 October 2005 09:27, Alex Cruz wrote:
> From what I've read, you are going to need some horsepower to record in HD.
> Not to mention that if you don't have an HD capable TV, what's the point. I
> can live with standard definition for now. I'm done jumping on the cutting
> edge hardware when it comes to this tech. I did it last when DVD's first
> came out and now I have a relly expensive Toshiba player sitting in
> storagethat can't play much. Even with the firmware upgrade, it has a hard
> time with certain newer DVD's. I can wait  :-)

HD recording isn't hard, the card just copies the stream to your harddrive,
its playback thats tough. There are a few chips out now that can handle the
mpeg2 decoding in real-time, but nothing in the form of a PCI card that can
be used. It would be great i the pcHDTV guys made a card with an MPEG2 and
MPEG4 decoding chip that can output 1080p via a DVI connector to a TV.

its possible, someone just has to make it...

Steve