[mythtv-users] Apple Bluetooth Remote Instead? Was: Microsoft Remote Keyboard

Jesse Guardiani jesse at wingnet.net
Mon Oct 24 12:10:33 EDT 2005

R. Geoffrey Newbury wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 12:04:38 +0200, Oliver Groht wrote:
>

>> ffrr schrieb:

>>> I have had the following plan for the box that will live next to my
>>> TV.  Yes, it needs a remote control, but I am so tired of remotes that
>>> don't cover enough functions, so I was just going to get a wireless
>>> USB keyboard (I presume like the MS one you mention, although I had a
>>> Logitech one in mind) and use that.  Sure it's big, but I guess I
>>> won't lose it that way :-)
>>>
>>> Anyway, no need for lirc. It's a real keyboard.   The remote that came
>>> with my DVB card works the same way. The USB IR receiver is seen by
>>> linux as a real keyboard.  So using a full keyboard, there will be no
>>> confusion/tedium mapping key pressings to functions, just use the ones
>>> you normally use when sitting in front of the computer. p for pause, m
>>> for menu, arrow keys to move, type data into a field, user the <enter>
>>> key, and <esc> etc etc
>>>

> Yesterday I was browsing at a computer shop and noticed that Apple sells
> wireless remote keyboards as well as their usual USB connected keyboards.
> The wireless remote keyboards use BLUETOOTH to talk to the computer.
> So a USB Bluetooth adapter to give bluetooth capability to your box, plus
> this keyboard might do the trick.
> Supposedly there is a Linux driver.
> The keyboards are quite small and slick.
>
> AND there is a bluetooth wireless mouse....Together the price was about
> $100 Canadian...

I'd prefer one of these for a PVR:
    http://www.btc.com.tw/english/2-7-21keyboard.htm#9019urf
Here's a review:
    http://www.byopvr.com/Sections+index-req-printpage-artid-15.html

Pointing device built into the keyboard so you can't lose it. (nobody
makes a wireless mouse that
beeps to tell you which couch cushion it's buried in yet) Cheap,
wireless, form fitted for laptop use.
Nifty carrying handles, and it's black, which happens to fit in well
with my equipment right now.

I'd prefer a trackpoint instead of a joystick, but whatever...

--
Jesse Guardiani
Programmer/Sys Admin
jesse at wingnet.net