[mythtv-users] Aborted?

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 12:26:23 EDT 2005

On 10/23/05, Bruce Markey <bjm at lvcm.com> wrote:
> John P Poet wrote:
> > My mythbackend crashed while recording three shows.  I noticed almost
> > immediately, and restarted it.  Two of the three shows started
> > recording again.  The third, however, did not.  When I looked to see
> > why, that third recording had an "Aborted" status.
>
> Are all your cards on the same machine or are there slaves? If
> there were any recordings on slaves, the master now discovers
> this on a restart. The slave continues to record and the master
> knows about it now unlike in the past when you had to restart the
> slave also to get things in sync.
>
> > What does "Aborted" mean, in this context.
>
> As with all states, you can press Enter to see the message about
> the state at the top of the page with the override buttons. "This
> showing was recorded but was aborted before recording was completed."
>
> > Why was the show aborted?
>
> Because, well, to quote your first three words "My mythbackend crashed".
> David Engel did some amazing things in the recent restart changes but
> it still doesn't continue to record while the recording backend
> has crashed =). All the recordings for a backend that has gone down
> are initially marked as rsAborted. If the master is up and it was
> a slave that failed and there is another input available, the
> master will restart on the other card. If not it will remain Aborted
> until the slave is restarted and it's card becomes available, in
> witch case it will restart on the slave. This all assumes that their
> is only one showing. If a recording was aborted and there is a
> later showing that will fit, it will schedule the complete recording
> at the later time. However, you can still "Reactivate" an aborted
> recording provided a card is available.
>
> If you don't have slaves but all three cards on your master, I would
> assume that it restarted the two that could only record in that
> time slot and the one still marked Aborted has been scheduled for a
> later time.
>
> --  bjm

Thanks Bruce.

I think I actually know what happened here.  All three recording where
on my master backend.  The one that entered an "Aborted" state had an
episode limit of one.  When I created that recording rule, I forgot to
change it from "keep oldest", to "delete oldest".  Since there was a
partial recording from before the crash, it did not re-start the
recording because it though it already had one.

Now if the myth scheduler was ALL KNOWING and ALL SEEING, it would
have been smart enough to continue the recording ;)

John