[mythtv-users] What ports does Mythtv Use?

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Mon Oct 24 16:44:01 EDT 2005

On Monday 24 October 2005 15:29, Mark Paulus wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am curious as to what ports/protocols mythtv uses?
>
> Here's some background for my request.
>
> I have a mythtv backend at my home.  I also have a DLink
> router, and at work I have an unknown firewall.
>
> I would like to be able to run mythfrontend on my linux box
> at work, and create an ssh-tunnel to connect to my mythbackend
> at home, and ssh-tunnel the only the mythtv traffic back and forth.
>
> Any insights would be helpful.
>
> Thanks.

I used to do that; then I decided I wanted access to MythWeb, my Squid
proxy, mail server, mfd (DAAP ports), etc...

It finally got to be a bit ridiculous remembering which ports I'd
forwarded where, and I ended up setting up a PPP tunnel over ssh for a
pseudo-VPN.  Works like a charm, and only requires that you have PPP
configured on both ends.  Pretty easy to set up using the PPP-SSH Mini
HOWTO:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/ppp-ssh/index.html

-JAC