[mythtv-users] tv-out quality problems

Carl Lewis carl at dpiwe.tas.gov.au
Mon Oct 24 19:17:44 EDT 2005

Michael Bochynski wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-10-24 at 18:56 +0100, Nick wrote:
>> On 24/10/05, Michael Bochynski <mbochynski at audiumcorp.com <mailto:mbochynski at audiumcorp.com>> wrote:
>> >  Hi All,
>> >
>> >  My setup is as follows - cable box, LeadTek WinFast TV Deluxe as tuner and
>> > ATI Radeon 8500 as TV-Out.
>> >
>> >  However, My mythtv TV_OUT is significantly worse in terms of picture
>> > quality than a direct cable out to TV. My question is whether it is due to
>> > ATI card, not fully supported under Linux, or TV tuner, which does software
>> > encoding?

Michael, I used to run a radeon 9550, the only resolution I
could get a decent TV-out picture on was 1024x768 otherwise
there were artifacts. That said, when working the picture
was much better than the Nvidia fx5200 I'm using at
the moment. While it is less susceptible to changes in resolution, it
shows interferance, from what I'm guessing is the power supply
(shimmering normally and rolling lines when the hard drive is working).

The only other twiddling I required for a decent picture with
the ATI were Myth's de-interlace settings (kernel worked
best for me) and ensuring the frontend ran SUID.

cheers,
Carl.

--
Tasmania Together 5 Year Review: Have your say: www.tasmaniatogether.tas.gov.au