[mythtv-users] Unable to watch live TV with PVR-350

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Oct 25 03:31:07 EDT 2005

Boris Burtin wrote:

>I'm having some trouble getting live TV to work with
>my MythTV setup (Fedora Core 4, PVR-350).  I followed
>Jarod's guide and have things mostly working.  X11 is
>running through the PVR-350's TV out.  When I try to
>watch live TV, I see garbage (green and pink blocks
>all over the screen).

Check the box that says to use the PVR-350 for output.  Even if you have
Xv working, you want this checked.

>Capture/playback from the command line seems to work:
>
># cat /dev/video0 > /tmp/test_capture.mpg
># mplayer -vo x11 /tmp/test_capture.mpg
>
>But if I run mplayer with "xv" instead of "x11"
>
># mplayer -vo xv /tmp/test_capture.mpg
>
>I see the same static as when I try to watch live TV.
>So it sounds like something is wacky with my MythTV
>configuration?  Is it passing the wrong args to
>mplayer?

No.  You don't have Xv support enabled for the PVR-350.  Make sure
you're using a current version of ivtv (ideally, 0.4.0) and search the
lists for info on installing John Harvey's PVR-350 Xv support.

Mike