[mythtv-users] audio/video stutter

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Tue Oct 25 06:57:27 EDT 2005

On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 03:11:22AM -0700, tgate wrote:
>   -Within myth the HD audio/video go into a play-pause cycle.  Different
> timings based on the settings, but it never goes away.
>
> I'm wondering if it could have something to do with the ring buffer?

I did some package updates on my system recently (libc6
upgrade, XFree to XOrg, etc.) and started having some
stuttering, play/pause cycles and ultimately some kernel
panics.  Most of the useful information had scrolled off
the screen, but there were some messages about resetting
the IDE and some "drive not ready" errors.  I checked SMART
and everything was fine.  My load averages also shot up to
0.65 during recording, whereas they had never been above
0.10 before, and my remote front-end would crash its X
session(!) because of whatever was happening inside
mythfrontend.  The frontend hasn't been upgraded since it
was first installed, so whatever is crashing the frontend
is originating on the backend.  Part of the problem turned
out to be the fact that my BIOS had decided to assign the
same IRQ to all three IDE channels *and* the ivtv board
*and* the ethernet adaptor (and yes, I did have "non-PnP
OS" selected).  I went into the PCI settings and manually
forced the cards onto different IRQs and the load went back
down to 0.05 while doing simultaneous record and playback.
I thought I had the problem solved, but then after watching
live TV for about 5 minutes the back-end kernel had another
panic with the same symptoms.  I recompiled my ivtv driver
(just in case) but don't think it will accomplish much.
I'm starting to run out of ideas....

BTW, my ivtv driver doesn't like the firmware:
ivtv: Encoder revision: 0x02050032
ivtv: Encoder Firmware may be buggy, use version 0x02040011
ivtv: Configuring WinTV PVR 250 card with 5 streams

Well, I'd *love* to use version 0x02040011 if that would
help, but haven't the slightest idea where I would get it
or how I would load it.  Hippauge changed the internal
structure of the DLL on their Windows installation CD-Rom
so that the firmware-extraction script that came with ivtv
doesn't work.