[mythtv-users] Upgraded Mandriva to 2006 - problems with mysql and myth

ffrr ffrr at tpg.com.au
Wed Oct 26 05:55:25 EDT 2005

David Watkins wrote:

>Well the problem appears to be here.  Have you set an IP address on the backend?
>Database connection looks OK to me, unless you're connecting to the
>wrong database?

Thanks for the help. It's fixed now, and here's what I think happened -

1.  After the upgrade, the ethernet connection didn't work.
2. I set up a new connection, BUT I accidentally set up the firewire
network connection (and I used the old address that my machine used to have)
3. When I discovered my mistake, I setup the ethernet card, but because
the old address was in use, I used the next available address.
4. Mythbackend didn't like this.
5. I used Webmin to see if mysql was running (it was)
6. I reset the mythtv user password in mysql, to mythtv, or so I
thought, but must have got it wrong.
7. So, I reset the machine's ip to the original address (and told
firewire it would have to depend on dhcp :-))
7. I tried to log into mysql at a console prompt as mythtv, and got the
access denied error
8. Then I logged into mysql as root, and did a 'GRANT ALL ON
mythconverg.* TO *mythtv*@localhost IDENTIFIED BY "*mythtv*"; '
9.  Now it all works!!!

So, don't know if the ip change somehow upset the backend (even though I
had it configured to localhost or 127.0.0.1), but the rest was my
fault.  I have related it all here in case it helps somebody else
sometime during an upgrade :-)