[mythtv-users] MythTV vs Freevo

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Wed Oct 26 11:42:04 EDT 2005

On Wednesday 26 October 2005 11:25, Joshua Lewis wrote:
> I just setup a FreeBSD sysem and looking for the best entertainment
> system
> I can make.
>
> Has anyone sucessfully installed MythTV on FreeBSD? FreeBSD is the
> only
> platform I am familiar with other then Windows and the MAC OS.

I don't know about Freevo, but for MythTV, I'd say that going with a
FreeBSD system is asking for headaches.  I'm not saying it couldn't
work (I know the frontend will; not sure about the backend), but as a
newbie, and unless you're a FreeBSD guru, you'd probably be better
served by picking a platform with a larger installed base, so if you
have any problems someone on the -users list is more likely to be able
to help you.  The most popular platforms for MythTV seem to be Fedora
Core (various versions, thanks to Jarod Wilson's excellent guide) and
Debian (what many of the main devs use, IIRC), or KnoppMyth (which is a
Debian/Knoppix-based LiveCD that can install a working Myth system to
your hard drive in minutes).  There are plenty of other
distros/platforms represented (Gentoo, Slackware, Mac OS X), but I'd
guess that over 50% of users are on a Fedora- or Debian-based Linux
distribution.

Just food for thought.  Good luck in your endeavors!

-JAC