[mythtv-users] missing /dev/dri

R. Geoffrey Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed Oct 26 15:49:12 EDT 2005

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 14:14:27 -0400, Cyber Source wrote:

>Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> Cyber Source wrote:
>>
>>> I seem to be missing /dev/dri using a pvr-350 with an nvidia card as
>>> the myth is bitching about this and i only get a blank screen when
>>> recording, I can watch tv OK. Any ideas, TIA

> Also, if I run
>"cat /dev/video0 > /tmp/someshow.mpg, it records beautifully with sound,
>etc. I must have some setting wrong in my myth record options but this
>is a pvr-350 and initially thought I had something wrong with the ivtv
>modules. I have
>AMD 3000+, FC4, 512MB RAM, 2.6.13-1352 kernel with all options installed
>as per wilsonet.com/mythtv.

This could affect all video cards which do hardware acceleration using
dri. I am running an Epia SP13000 and have a similar problem with dri (and
drm and XvMC) being disabled. I suspect that your blank screen is because
the system cannot properly display out through the nvidia card. I think
that live TV would use the PVR350' output directly: no further processing
required.

Please do 2 things:
First: look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log and see if the following snippet exists
(it will be well down the lisiting),

drmOpenDevice: minor is 0
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (Unknown error 999)
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (Unknown error 999)
drmOpenDevice: Open failed
drmOpenDevice: minor is 0
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (Unknown error 999)
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (Unknown error 999)
drmOpenDevice: Open failed
<big snip>
(II) RADEON(0): Direct rendering disabled

Second:
See if you have a node /dev/dri/card0

I think that this is a udev problem. The node /dev/dri/card0 does not get
created.

About 4 days ago I found a web-site about udev development which had a
changelog comment from about March, about some change (removal) to the
handling of dri.
I cannot find that page now....it is not any of the main udev pages.

But it is clear that /dev/dri/card0 does not get created at any time by
udev or xorg or whatever. And dri seems to have no known major-minor
number allowing creation through a mknod or udev rule.

Help please.

Geoff

R. Geoffrey Newbury                          newbury at mandamus.org
Barrister and Solicitor                         Telephone: 905-271-9600
Mississauga,Ontario, Canada              Facsimile:   905-271-1638