[mythtv-users] OT: suspend to disc....

Bryan Niederberger mythtv at bryweb.com
Thu Oct 27 11:59:24 EDT 2005

Jules Gosnell wrote:

> I try not to leave unnecessary electrical stuff running overnight, but
> my mythfrontend takes quite a while to boot/shutdown.
>
> I have been looking at what it would take to be able to suspend-to and
> resume-from disc.
>
> It's a Via Epia Ezra (i586) running FC3 with the latest FC3 kernel.
>
> This looks like the best option - http://www.suspend2.net/ - but
> involves custom built and patched kernels and no doubt a long time
> spent tailoring scripts to unload drivers before shutting down and
> reload them after starting up....
>
> I was wondering if anyone else was doing this sort of thing with their
> myth-frontend box and what their experiences had been....
>
> Thanks for your time,
>

> Jules

I went down this path with my Epia M10000 and got mixed results.  I am
using Fedora 3 and found a site that keeps recent kernels and packages
for software suspend in Fedora 3 and 4.  The link is
http://mhensler.de/swsusp/ if you want to check it out.  Getting things
set up was no real problem, as I recall it basically consisted of
installing the hibernate package, installing a custom mkinitrd for
swsusp and installing a patched kernel.  After that, software suspend
worked like a champ simply by executing the hibernate command as root.

Overall it works well, boot times are roughly 30 seconds to resume from
suspend mode.  This could probably be faster but my Epia a little anemic
in the processing area.  The main reason I have not been using hibernate
is that the resumed Unichrome driver has some sort of problem with
Myth.  Although I can see the desktop/frontend perfectly whenever I
attempt to play a recording myth just displays a black screen with audio
(I'm not using XVMC so I don't think it's a problem there).  At this
point I got frustrated and never really looked into what the exact
problem was.  If you fair better with your Epia let me know any tips/tricks.

Bryan