[mythtv-users] An LVM'd drive died! What do I do...

Andrew Close aclose at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 15:42:15 EDT 2005

On 10/27/05, Brandon Beattie <brandon+myth at linuxis.us> wrote:
<snip/>
> Hopefully in the next few months myth will support storing to multiple
> directories, which would remove the need for LVM or having to worry
> about losing anything but what was on that drive.

excellent thread! :)  i had to come back to the above statement
because i've seen it mentioned before and am just looking for a little
clarity.

storing to multiple directories - what is meant by that?
do you want to store all your Lost episodes in /myth/tv/Lost, and all
of your SG-1 episodes in /myth/tv/SG-1?  so you have subdirectories
under /myth/tv.

or do you mean breaking outthe directories into their own partitions -
/dev/hdb1 = /myth/tv/Lost
/dev/hdb2 = /myth/tv/SG-1

you can kind of do this now, can't you?  without the subdirectories -
/dev/hdb1 = /myth/tv
/dev/hdb2 = /myth/video
etc...

or am i completely confusing the issue?

i was using LVM on my FE/BE system and it worked great.  i have newer
hardware so i wasn't worried about loosing a drive and figured by the
time i did i'd be ready for a newer setup.
i had /, /cache, /myth on /dev/hda which was a 40GB drive.  then i had
a 300GB drive, /dev/hdb, which was part of the vg /myth.  so my /myth
dir spanned ~325GB.
i've been thinking about setting the system up to use more drives for
specific tasks.  small 6GB drive for /cache, another small 10GB drive
for /, /myth and a large 300GB drive for /myth/tv and another 300GB
for /myth/video.  if you need more space for tv you can always LVM
/myth/tv and add a drive.  but with this setup your less likely to
loose data if one drive goes out (i think :) without having to worry
about RAID.  and you can always take your /myth/tv drive and mount it
in another system to retrieve data.  the only hiccup appears to be
loosing your database, but that should be backed up anyway right? ;)