[mythtv-users] An LVM'd drive died! What do I do...

Brandon Beattie brandon+myth at linuxis.us
Thu Oct 27 16:06:45 EDT 2005

On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 02:42:15PM -0500, Andrew Close wrote:
> On 10/27/05, Brandon Beattie <brandon+myth at linuxis.us> wrote:
> <snip/>
> > Hopefully in the next few months myth will support storing to multiple
> > directories, which would remove the need for LVM or having to worry
> > about losing anything but what was on that drive.
>
> excellent thread! :)  i had to come back to the above statement
> because i've seen it mentioned before and am just looking for a little
> clarity.
>
> storing to multiple directories - what is meant by that?
> do you want to store all your Lost episodes in /myth/tv/Lost, and all
> of your SG-1 episodes in /myth/tv/SG-1?  so you have subdirectories
> under /myth/tv.
>
> or do you mean breaking outthe directories into their own partitions -
> /dev/hdb1 = /myth/tv/Lost
> /dev/hdb2 = /myth/tv/SG-1
>
> you can kind of do this now, can't you?  without the subdirectories -
> /dev/hdb1 = /myth/tv
> /dev/hdb2 = /myth/video
> etc...

There have been a number of ways proposed.  My current thought of the
"best" is to allow you to create "storage groups".  You can add
directories to a storage group and list how much space in MB (or how
much to leave free on that directories partition).  When you record a TV
show you can have it save it to the general storage group, or have it
save it to a specific one.

The difficulty in any mutliple directory approach is what happens when
you have 5 GB free in this directory, 20GB free in another, and 500K in
another.  Do we split up video streams, do we move files between them,
and so on.  a 4 hour HD show that's 36GB can be tricky.  If you had 6
drives and anywhere from 5GB to 20GB free, which do you store to?  Add
in auto-expire and it gets even more tricky.

Noone has felt like they know how things should be done enough to
actually write it, so support has never been added.

--Brandon