[mythtv-users] Can't record from composite.

Mercury Morris mercury.morris at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 17:28:02 EDT 2005

On 10/26/05, Greg Burke <greg33 at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I've just got my mythtvbox up and running but i have a problem with it.
>
> i'm using a a wintv pvr 350 card which seems to working fine because i
> can watch my old videotapes and satellite tv through it but i can't
> record from s-video composite or tuner. when i press "r" while watching
> it just says "record" at the top of the screen but nothing actually
> records.
>
> My main reason for building this machine was to record from an external
> vcr and satellite receiver so i haven't downloaded any xmltv channels
> lists.
>
> Does mythtv support recordings from external sources? if so, what could
> i be doing wrong?
>
> There is another way, besides the SVN instant-record feature, to record
from the Composite input of the PVR-350. I'll describe what I did, for what
it might be worth to you.

Using the Backend Setup, usually called mythtv-setup, I defined a Video
Source called 4DTV. (In the U.S., a 4DTV is a satellite receiver.)

Again using the Backend Setup, under Input Connections I associated 4DTV
with the "Composite 0" entry.

Again using Backend Setup, I entered the Channel Editor and defined a new
channel. It is easy to miss filling in all the blanks on the screen here. I
filled in the Video Source as 4DTV. Arbitrarily, I filled in Channel Name as
W4DTV, and filled in the Call Sign as WSAT.

Now, the 4DTV Satellite Receiver is defined to MythTV as Channel WSAT.
There are no program listings for it in my system, so I use Manual Recording
to first select the Channel called WSAT, then set the Start
Time/Date/Length, etc.
The 4DTV Satellite Receiver has a VCR-like programability, so it is not too
difficult to set both MythTV and the 4DTV to turn on at the same time, tune
their respective channels, and end up with recorded program(s) from the
satellite dish.

To some, all of the above might sound complicated, but the MythTV system
just took the place of several VCRs that were also programmed to record from
the satellite dish by coordinating the start-stop times of the receiver and
VCR.

--
MM